i am a pastry girl. i love anything that is pastry especially eating it right after it comes out from the oven. the recipe that i’m gonna share with you is the one that i always do it at least once a month. so far my family loves it too. it is so easy to make and your tummy will be happy after eating this.
btw, this recipe was taken from http://bakingproject.com/2008/04/06/soup-with-pastry-top-hat/. i just love this chef because she shares all the techniques and shares all the ingredients without intentionally missing one bit of the items that’s suppose to be included in the recipe. i think you know what i mean right, when you tried certain recipe and found out that the chef purposely left a few ingredients, and after making it, you are always wondering what happen, how come it didn’t turn out as shown in the picture. had this many times too.
- 1 can of your favorite soup. It can be Campbell mushroom soup or Heinz tomato soup.
- Yellow onions – cut it in small pieces for easy eating
- Vegetables. This can be potatoes, carrots, celeries, corn or mushroom. Cut into smaller pieces too.
- Chicken meat. Leave out the bones. Cut into tiny pieces.
- Ready made pastry. Best if it is a square size that can cover your coffee mug or your soup mug.
- Egg. Lightly beaten. Use 1 egg is enough as we need this as glue to the pastries.
How do you make this:
- First, dilute the soup with some water, milk or cream according to the consistency you like.
- Heat some butter. Saute the onions, then add the chicken. Once the chicken is almost cooked, add the veggies. Lastly add the soup. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take the pastry which had been thawed. You can cut it into round shape if you like. Or leave it in its square shape.
- Fill the oven-safe mug with the soup about 3/4 full.
- Brush the rim of the mug with the egg.
- Lay 1 piece of the pastry on top. Press down the sides.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the remaining egg wash.
- Take another 1 piece of the pastry and put it on top of the 1st pastry. See photo below. Brush the top of the 2nd pastry with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake at 375 F for about 15 to 20 minutes until the pastry is golden.
This is the ready made pastry.
Ready to be baked. I put 2 layers for the extra puff.
After 15 minutes :